Hazards from Furnaces, Space Heaters, and Fireplaces

CPSC Warns Of Hazards from Furnaces, Space Heaters and Fireplaces;
Agency Urges Annual Furnace Inspection, Installing Smoke and CO Alarms

Washington, D.C. – If projections hold true, home heating costs this
winter will on average cost consumers 25.7 percent more than last year, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
Natural gas and heating oil customers are expected to be hit the
hardest. And as Americans begin to receive their winter heating bills
and begin to explore alternative ways to heat their homes, the U.S.
Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning consumers about
alternative heat sources and reminding them to follow safety precautions
while keeping their home warm this winter.
"With the cost of heating fuel high, consumers might be looking to use
space heaters more as a supplemental way of heating their homes," said
CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "By following CPSC's recommendations for all
types of heating systems, and by installing smoke and carbon monoxide
alarms, you can help keep your family safe this winter."
The two hazards of most concern to the CPSC are fires and carbon
monoxide (CO) poisoning. CPSC recommends consumers have a professional
inspection of all fuel-burning heating systems, including furnaces,
boilers, fireplaces, wood stoves, water heaters, chimneys, flues and
vents.
For the years 1999-2002, there were about 9,900 residential fires per
year and about 190 deaths per year associated with space heaters.
In addition to the fires and deaths associated with space heaters, there
were 20,600 fires and about 40 deaths per year associated with
fireplaces and chimneys. For central heating, there were about 5,800
fires per year and about 20 deaths per year. In addition, an average of
about 85 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by
heating systems, ranges/ovens and water heaters.
Space heaters can cause fires if they are placed too close to flammable
materials such as drapes, furniture or bedding. Fireplaces can cause
fires if the chimney is cracked, blocked or coated with creosote, or if
sparks and embers reach flammable materials. Fuel-burning appliances can
cause carbon monoxide poisoning if they are improperly installed, poorly
maintained, have defective or blocked venting systems, or are misused.
Space heater tips:
Place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as
ceramic tile floor), not on rugs or carpets or near bedding or drapes.
Keep the heater at least three feet from bedding, drapes, furniture and
other flammable materials. Keep children and pets away from space
heaters.
To prevent the risk of fire, NEVER leave a space heater on when you go
to sleep or place a space heater close to any sleeping person. Turn the
space heater off if you leave the area.
Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards
and certified by a nationally-recognized testing laboratory. These
heaters will have the most up-to-date safety features; older space
heaters may not meet the newer safety standards. An unvented gas space
heater that meets current safety standards will shut off if oxygen
levels fall too low.
Make sure your heater is correctly rated for your home. An oversized
heater could deplete the available oxygen, causing excess carbon
monoxide to be produced. Keep a window in the room open at least one
inch and keep doors open to the rest of the house to ensure proper
ventilation. This helps prevent pollutant build-up and promotes proper
combustion.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions to provide sufficient combustion
air to prevent carbon monoxide production.
Have gas and kerosene space heaters inspected annually to ensure proper
operation.
Do not use a kitchen range or oven to heat your house because it could
overheat or generate excessive carbon monoxide.
Be aware that manufactured homes require specially-designed heating
equipment.
Do not use unvented gas space heaters where prohibited by local codes.
Have a smoke alarm with fresh batteries on each level of the house,
inside every bedroom, and outside the bedrooms in each sleeping area. In
addition, have a carbon monoxide alarm outside the bedrooms in each
separate sleeping area.

Fireplace safety tips:
Have flues and chimneys inspected before each heating season for leakage
and blockage by creosote or debris.
Open the fireplace damper before lighting the fire and keep it open
until the ashes are cool. Never close the damper or go to bed if the
ashes are still warm. An open damper may help prevent build-up of
poisonous gases inside the home.
Never use gasoline, charcoal lighter or other fuel to light or relight a
fire because the vapors can explode. Never keep flammable fuels or
materials near a fire. Never store flammable liquids in your home.
Never use charcoal in a fireplace because of the risk of carbon monoxide
poisoning.
Keep a screen or glass enclosure around a fireplace to prevent sparks or
embers from igniting flammable materials.

Consumers who would like more information can view or receive the
following free CPSC booklets: "What You Should Know about Space
Heaters," on our Web site at www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/463.html or send
a postcard to "Space Heater Booklet," CPSC, Washington, DC 20207; and
"What you Should Know About Combustion Appliances," at
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/452.html or send a postcard to "Combustion
Appliances Booklet," CPSC, Washington, DC 20207.

Written By

Posted on Jan 5, 2009

Was the information on this page helpful? Yes No

Do You Recommend This Article?


Find more stories like:
Home & Family on Pamlico County Center, — or checkout all the other tags we use.